Berezivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed from 133, Tanaschyshyna Street on the dirt road for around 70 metres up to the hill.
GPS coordinates
47.20514, 30.92789
Perimeter length
426 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory is abandoned, but not overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There are remains of a small building near the cemetery, which was described by the 2009 expedition of Lo Tishkach as a ruined beit-taharah. According to locals, there is no mass grave on the cemetery site, but the ESJF expedition has found a small hill with a stone on it, although it is unclear whether this is a mass grave. The cemetery is threatened by local vandals and requires fencing as soon as possible. Locals confirm that vandals continue to ruin the cemetery. There are 30 unbroken tombstones and many fragments of broken tombstones.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the cemetery was founded in the late 19th or early 20th century. Tombstones from 1915 to 1918 are preserved on the site. Among them there is a tombstone of a man “killed by anarchists​ in 1918”. The cemetery is marked on a Russian topographic map from 1927, using data from the 1910s. The cemetery was ruined during WWII, but some pre-war tombstones are preserved. The cemetery was used until the 1990s.

The first mention of the Jewish community of Berezivka dates back to the first half of the 19th century. On April 26 and 27, 1881, a pogrom, during which 161 buildings owned by Jews were damaged, took place in the town. Only the synagogue and pharmacy remained untouched. In 1887, the Jewish population numbered 3,458 (56% of the total population). In the early 20th century, a government school for Jewish children operated. A Yiddish elementary school, a Yiddish evening school, a club, and a library were opened during the Soviet period. Also, a number of artisan cooperatives and Jewish kolkhozes were functioning. The Jewish population numbered 3,223 (43% of the total population) in 1926 and was reduced to 1,424 in 1939. On August 10, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the town. From mid-August until September 1941, 211 Jews were murdered. Thousands of Jews from Bessarabia and Odessa were deported to the Berezivka area, after the inclusion of the town into Romanian Transnistria. Nearly 7,000 Jews were killed. According to epigraphic data, a Jewish population was present in Beresivka until 1989.

3D model