Beregsurany Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Beregsurány existed as early in 1831—according to the date on the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery—and was active until at least 1937. A cenotaph commemorating the victims of Holocaust was erected in the cemetery.
Beregsurány is a village in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, approximately 70 km northeast of Nyíregyháza. In 1840, the settlement had only 8 Jewish inhabitants. In 1880, there were 37 Jewish residents in Beregsurány, at which time the total population of the town was 685. Over the next 30 years, the number of Jewish inhabitants increased to 76, however by 1920, it fell 49. In 1941, there were 39 Jews among the village’s total population of 924. The Orthodox community of Beregsurány in 1944 had 43 members, 4 of whom were taxpayers. The custodian was Frenkel Izidor, whose civil occupation was farming. Three tenement houses and 19 acres of land belonged to the community. A synagogue operated in the village at 21. Árpád Road, which is now a private house. Under the German occupation, the Jewish communities of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county were destroyed and deported. The final transport from the Beregszász Ghetto (where the Jews of Beregsurány were confined) departed to Auschwitz on May 29, 1944. Around 40,000 Jews were transported from Beregszász during that month, including Jews from Beregsurány and the surrounding areas.