Benedykivtsi Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Benedykivtsi was established in the 19th century. The cemetery is depicted on a cadastral map of 1865, although the latest tombstone dates to 1907. The cemetery was used until WWII, and the latest preserved gravestone date to 1940.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Benedykivtsi area in the mid-18th century. In 1880, there were 177 Jews living in the town, of a total population of 526 inhabitants. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 163 individuals. There was a Jewish-owned alcohol factory in the village. In 1930, the town’s Jewish population numbered 161 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Benedykivtsi in March 1939, and Jews were consequently persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, the Jewish population numbered 188. Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining 150 Jews of Benedykivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.