Bazar Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the intersection of Shevchenko and Piskovka streets (old name) drive north-west for 800m, turn left and then proceed for 1 km. The cemetery is on the right.
GPS coordinates
51.03769, 29.27348
Perimeter length
306 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, you can see the moat.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is partly covered with seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
About 10. Only two gravestones with inscriptions remain. There are the ruined remains of the tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1915 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1956 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemtery establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 19th century. The majority of the matzevot were used for construction by locals after WWII. It is marked on a map from the 1900s.

It is likely that the first Jews to settle in Bazar (Ukr., Rus. Базар, Yid. באַזאַר) arrived in the late 18th century. As of 1897, there were 833 Jews in Bazar, which was 42% of the total population. After the revolution of 1917, a Zionist society and a Hebrew school were established. As pogroms were frequent during the Civil War of 1918–21, Jewish self-defense groups were formed to protect the community. In the Soviet period, 60 families joined a Jewish collective farm. Natives of Bazar established three agricultural colonies in the Kherson District: Frayhayt, Horepashnik, and Oyflebung. The religious congregation, which had been led by R. Shmaryahu Shinderman since 1913, ceased to exist after the rabbi’s forced emigration to Palestine. As of 1939, Bazar had a Jewish population of 443. The majority of the town’#s Jewish population were murdered by the Nazis. According to the 2001 census, there was no Jewish population in the town.
The cemetery was likely founded in the 19th century. The earliest tombstone dates from 1915, and the cemetery seems to be marked on maps of the same period. After WWII, local residents used some of the tombstones for construction.

3D model