Bardejov Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
L’udova Stura Street, opposite the car wash.
GPS coordinates
49.303988, 21.283449
Perimeter length
319 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 2 metre tall metal fence with a brick base. Some stretches of the fence are also constructed of concrete and others of wood.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 1,200 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a brick ohel belonging to one Moshe Halberstam (1848-1903) of Sanz Hassidic dynasty; his wife, Rachel Feiga (died 1926); and their son, Yechiel Natan Halbersatm (1866-1934).
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery already existed in the 18th century, with the catalog of the Bardejov Jewish Preservation Committee dating the oldest preserved tombstone to 1796. The cemetery is marked on an Austro-Hungarian map of the region from the 1860s, and in 2014 it was restored and fenced. It is adjacent to both industrial and residential properties.

The first mention of Jews in Bardejov can be dated to 1599. From 1631, Jews were evicted from the city, and only returned at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1787, of the population of 3760, 42 were Jewish. In 1808, Hevra Kadisha (a ritual burial society) was founded, and the Great Synagogue was built in the 1830s.

A beit midrash, a mikvah, and a kosher slaughterhouse were also erected near the synagogue. From 1856 to 1871, Rabbi Haim Abraham Orenstein (author of Divrei Avraham) was a Rabbi of Bardejov. Then, in 1874, Admore’s grandson from Sans Moshe Halberstamm became Rabbi of Bardejov. In the 20th century, a yeshiva was founded.

In 1900, 1,715 Jews lived in Bardejov (8.1% of the total population); and at the beginning of WWII, the number had risen to 2,441 (8.7% of the total population). In September 1940, approximately 200 Jews were deported to labour camps. For the remainder of the war, the Jews of Bardejov were deported to various cities and camps around Poland, including Auschwitz. After the war, a portion of the survivors returned to the city. In 1948, only 256 Jews lived in Bardejov.

Gradually, they left the city, with the last dying in 2005. After more than 260 years of continuous Jewish presence, no Jews live in Bardejov today.

3D model