Bar New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house on 79 Ostrozhkoy street.
GPS coordinates
49.08394, 27.66062
Perimeter length
550 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There is some seasonal vegetation on the cemetery. The cemetery is large and well-maintained in parts, although the older section of the cemetery is overgrown. There are several mass graves. Local residents have been making efforts to preserve the cemetery. They have laid down a path, installed a gate, and mow the grass. However, they lack the funds to properly preserve the site.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 1,500 tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1936 (the earliest found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2017 (the latest found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given it can be found marked on a Russian map of the region from 1907-1909, it can be inferred it was already in use at the beginning of the 20th century.

The city of Bar is first mentioned in 1401 as a small trade at the Eastern outskirts of the Polish lands, named Rov, and was renamed in 1537, when the Polish Queen Bona Sforza (born in Italy) named it after her Italian hometown, Bari.
Between 1672 and 1686, control of Bar was passed between the Ottoman Empire and Poland, eventually settling under nominal Ottoman control until 1699. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it fell under the control of the Russian Empire, and became part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). After 1922, Bar became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR, and in 1991, following the fall of the Soviet Union, the town became part of the independent Ukraine.
Its town rights were enshrined under Magdeburg law in 1540, and in 1542 the first Jewish settlers are mentioned, which makes the Jewish community of Bar one of the oldest in the Ukraine. Under an agreement concluded in 1556 with the citizens of Bar, the Jews were permitted to own buildings and had the same rights and duties as the other residents; they were permitted to visit other towns in the district for business purposes but were forbidden to provide lodging for Jewish visitors in the city. The community grew during the second half of the 16th and into the 17th century, with the Jews of Bar engaged in trade in places as far away as Moldavia. The Jewish community of Bar did however suffer from pogroms during this time. A massacre of the Jews of bar occurred in 1648, during the Khmelnitsky uprising, and again in 1651, by Cossacks and Tatars. In 1717, a synagogue was erected in Bar. After 1793, under Russian rule, the community flourished. The Jewish population grew from 4442 in 1847 to 5773 in 1897 (58% of the total population), and to 10,450 (46%) in 1910. Between 1910 and World War I, Jews opened factories in a wide range of industries including: agricultural products, sugar, linen, tobacco, and vodka. They owned the majority of the shops in town, the only pharmacy and were the majority of artisans. Twenty Jews in Bar lost their lives during a pogrom in the summer of 1919. Religious and communal life came to an end with the establishment of the Soviet government. The Jewish population had fallen to 5270 (55%) in 1926 and 3869 (41%) in 1939.
The Germans occupied Bar on July 16, 1941. In December two ghettos were created. The majority of the Jews were murdered or died there. Bar was liberated on March 25th, 1944. In the 1990s the Jewish community in Bar consisted of only a few dozen people.
The new Jewish cemetery of Bar was established during the Soviet period, it is situated at the Northern outskirts of the city and contains about 1500 matzevot. The oldest part of the cemetery is seasonally overgrown, while the newer part is clean and well maintained.

3D model