Balkany Jewish Cemetery
Opposite to 53, Kállói Street.
The cemetery perimeter is 414 metres. The site perimeter (including the access road) is 691 metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 2.5m concrete fence.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel, as well as a holocaust memorial.
The Jewish cemetery of Balkány existed as early as in 1828, as the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The most recent tombstone discovered in the cemetery was erected in 1965. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries. The cemetery moreover includes an ohel and a Holocaust memorial.
In 1848, 438 Jews lived in Balkány, most of whom were merchants, though a significant number were artisans and craftsmen. The proportion of those who worked in culture or religious affairs was also remarkably high.