Argostoli Jewish Cemetery
The first Jews to settle on the island of Cephalonia lived in Achelous in the 12-13th centuries. Jews were brought to Cephalonia in the 17th century by its governor, who was interested in developing the bookbinding industry. Most lived in the capital, Argostoli. After 1821, when the Greek revolution broke out, many Jews escaping anti-Jewish sentiment settled in Cephalonia. The Jewish population in Cephalonia in 1823 was 130 (of a total of 53,090). Cephalonia was annexed to Greece in 1864. In the 1890s, the community’s financial position was undermined and its members became indifferent to the problems related to Jewish community life. The community was soon dismantled. The Jewish population in 1907 was 18. Only one Jew remained in 1940.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed it was founded in the 17th century.