Andrushivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Cemetery does not have an address. The cemetery is located next to the crossroad of Shevchenka lane and Zaliznychna street.
GPS coordinates
50.03105, 29.01622
Perimeter length
267 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery has a 1.2m high wooden fence on all sides, except the western side where there is a small ditch and thickets alongside it.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-groomed. It is covered with seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 90.
Date of oldest tombstone
1920 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2010 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It emerged no later than the first half of the 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1920. During WWII, according to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the construction of a grain warehouse began on the territory of the cemetery, and restoration work was carried out in the 1980s. It is not marked on maps.

In the mid-18th century, Andrushivka (Ukr. Андрушівка, Rus. Андрушёвка, Yid. אַנדרישיווקע) already had a Jewish population of some 12 Jews. As of 1897, there were 430 Jews in the town, which was 16% of the total population. The interwar period saw some Jewish migration to Andrushivka, where new factories were built by the Soviet authorities. The town had a Jewish elementary school. In 1939, the Jewish population was 658. The majority of the Jews in Andrushivka and the nearby communities were shot by the Nazis in 1941–42. According to the 2001 census, there were only 22 Jews in Andrushivka and the neighbouring area.
It is unknown when the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone dates from 1920. The construction of a granary was started on the property during WWII, but the project was abandoned. The cemetery was renovated in the 1980s.

3D model