Alexandroupoli Jewish Cemetery
There was a small Jewish community in Alexandroupoli in the early 20th cent. It operated a school and numbered 48 families in 1912. The community dwindled in the 1920s and became financially distressed in the 1930s. The Jewish population in 1940 was 165 (of a total population of 15,472). The Germans placed Alexandroupoli under Bulgarian rule in April 1941, when the Jews numbered 197 (of a total population of 14,000). Jewish movement was restricted and severe anti-Jewish measures were introduced. On 3rd-4th March 1943, the Jews were rounded up and taken to a camp in Bulgaria. On 19th March, they were transported to the Treblinka death camp via Vienna. Of the 15 Jews from Alexandroupoli who survived the war, none remained there after 1960.
The Alexandroupoli Jewish cemetery was founded in the early 20th century.