Adamow Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located on Janusza Korczaka Street, around 1,5 kilometers from the city center. It is located around 400 metres north-west of 12, Korczaka Street, on the right hand side, and it is roughly half way between 12, Korczaka Street and 29, Glinne.
GPS coordinates
51.7476744, 22.2820383
Perimeter length
175 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
It is fenced with concrete fence around 0,5 meters high. The fence on the field side has been destroyed.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located by the road. It is fenced and protected. A small part of the cemetery is not fenced, the fence on the field side has been destroyed and needs to be repaired. A memorial to Holocaust victims is located at the site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved. There's only one symbolic matzeva dedicated to Rubin Rosenberg, who died in 2005.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a monument commemorating the Jews murdered by the Nazis in 1942.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Adamów was founded in 1539 as a private town. The earliest known records about the Jewish community in Adamów, apart from some mentions of individual leaseholders, dates to 1778 when a record notes that capitation tax was paid by 6 heads of families (accounting for approximately 30-40 people). By 1827, the number of Jewish inhabitants grew to 108 people (18% of the total population) and rose to 162 people by 1857 (21% of the total population). The Jews of Adamów were subordinate to the larger community in Kock, though they likely became an independent community in the second half of the 19th century. By 1939, 1055 Jews lived in Adamów. During the Holocaust, in October 1942, the Germans shot over 300 Jews in Adamów, and deported the rest to Łuków, then Treblinka.

The cemetery is located approximately 1.5 km northeast from the city centre, on Janusza Korczaka Street. On the southeast side, it is surrounded by fields. The cemetery is shaped like an irregular, highly elongated quadrilateral with an area of 0.97 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though in 1924 Jews from Adamów were still buried in Kock. The considerable distance of the cemetery from the city suggests it was established later. The cemetery was destroyed during World War II, though large parts of the area have survived. There are over 20 poplar trees in the cemetery, which are planted in rows, and some wild vegetation. In 2001, at the initiative of Rubin Rosenberg, (who emigrated from Adamów to the United States), the cemetery was fenced with a concrete wall, and a monument was erected dedicated to victims of the Holocaust. Later, a stele dedicated to Rubin Rosenberg, who died in 2005, was placed next to the monument. There are no above-ground traces of the cemetery, nor detailed information about its internal organization and appearance, nor have any tombstones from the cemetery been found.