Kitsman Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located adjacent to 4, Nezalezhnosti Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a gabion fence installed in October 2017 by ESJF.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a tziyun at the cemetery site.
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map of the 1880s. According to epigraphic data, it existed at the end of the 19th century, and it was operating till WWII.
The Jewish agricultural products traders settled in the early 19th century. The Jewish community emerged in the late 19th century. The Jews from adjoining Nepolokautz, Luzan and Oroszeny also participated in the community prayers. Presumably, a synagogue was opened from the period of the foundation of the community. By the early 20th century, three synagogues operated. The community had a cemetery as well. In 1910, 666 Jews lived in Kitsman’. A Bikur Hoylim society and a Jewish hospital functioned. A Jewish calendar was printed in local Jewish typography at that time. In 1926, a Talmud Tora was established by local rabbi Boruch Hager (1899–1941), the tsadik of Vizhnitz dynasty. In the same period, the Zionist organization Dorshei Zion was created. The Jewish population numbered 647 people (16,9% of the total population) in 1930. Kitsman’ was occupied by the German-Romanian troops on July 5, 1941. On July 9, 1941, 27 Jewish intellectuals were executed. In October 1941, 560 Jews were deported to Transnistria. Eight Jewish families survived.