Katerynivka Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, turn to the dirt road opposite the last house on the western outskirt of the village. Proceed for 500 metres. The cemetery is located in the woods on the left of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery has a fence installed in October 2019 by ESJF.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1876 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1920 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1870s. First, it appears on Russian topographic maps of the 1880s. The cemetery was still operating in the first half of the 20th century.
Little is known about the Jewish community life in Katerynivka. The amount of the Jewish residents was 693 in 1897, and its figure dropped to 384 people (45,7% of the total population) in 1921. In June 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the village. The Jewish community of Katerynivka was deported to the Lanivtsi ghetto. In August 1942, they were executed there.