Kamyanets-Podilskyy Karvasary Old Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on a hill on the crossroads of Karvasary Street and Ustyma Karmalyuka Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in March 2021.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery. Most of the gravestone from the site were used for construction.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1800 (only dated found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the epigraphic data, it already existed in the late 18th century. It appears on old maps since the 1870s.
Before 1923, Karvasary was an independent town. In 1847, the Jewish population stood at 752 Jews. It was 720 Jews and consisted of more than half of the total population in 1897. In 1865, two synagogues existed in Karvasary, and by 1889, one more synagogue was built.