Chudey Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located opposite the Christian Cemetery at Eminesku Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence, constructed by ESJF in November 2018.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
About 300. Difficult count the exact number because of too dense vegetation.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Presumably, the cemetery was established at the end of the 19th century. According to maps and epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1880s. The cemetery was operating after WWII, the latest preserved gravestone relates to the 1960s.
The Jewish community of Chudey existed from the second half of the 19th century. The local Jews were involved in lumber and cattle trading. In 1930, 568 Jews resided in Chudey. A synagogue of the 19th century was ruined during the Soviet occupation in June 1940. In early 1941, the Romanian army occupied Chudey and murdered around 500 Jews.