Tczew Old Jewish Cemetery (also known as Górka Jewish Cemetery)
The cemetery is located between the town of Tczew and the village of Bałdowo.
The cemetery was established in the 19th century. It occupies an area of 0.23 hectares and is situated on a small hill, on a plan similar to a rectangle. It is surrounded on the north and west sides by a ditch, and on the south and east sides by slopes.
Like most other Jewish cemeteries in Pomerania, the necropolis was devastated during World War II, and this process continued in later years. The cemetery was officially closed in 1972. In 1992, the necropolis was sold to a private company for the purpose of building a fruit concentrate plant there. In the 1990s, there were still several dozen matzevot in the cemetery.
A lapidarium was established at the site of the cemetery. Fragments of tombstones and a plaque with an inscription in Polish and Hebrew: “Lev Hasharon. Tczew. There was a Jewish community in Tczew until the beginning of World War II. On this hill in the years 1835–1939 there was a cemetery of the Jewish community in Tczew. God save their souls.”
On one of the preserved matzevot – partially destroyed – there are hands spread in a gesture of blessing and a Hebrew inscription: “Here lies our teacher and rabbi, Jacob, the son of our teacher, Rabbi Simon, a righteous priest, passed away in his old age. Hoshana Rabbah … “. The year of his death remains unknown. It is possible that it is the stele from the grave of Rabbi Dr. Jakub Caro.