Svirzh New Jewish Cemetery
The nearest buiding adjacent to the cemetery is an old mill. The cemetery is located in a field 200 metres behind the mill.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery territory is used as fields.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It is marked on maps from the 19th and 20th centuries. Presumably, the cemetery was demolished after WWII.
The first mention of the Jews of Svirzh dates to 1563. The legendary multi-storey menorah in a local synagogue was the pride of the local community members. In the late 19th century, many Jews migrated to the USA. Stratin Hassidism predominated in Svirzh. The Jewish population numbered 381 (20% of the total population) in 1880. By 1900, it had reached 352 (15% of the total population). The Wehrmacht occupied Svirzh at the end of July 1941. In November, 1942, the Jewish population was expelled to the ghettos of Bibrka and Peremyshlyany.