Nyirkarasz Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The Jewish cemetery is located opposite to 70, Rákóczi Street.
GPS coordinates
48.09173, 22.106
Perimeter length
337 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, about 2.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is in a really good condition. The grass is mown, the gravestones are upright. A few broken branches were found.
Number of existing gravestones
75 gravestones: 62 intact & 13 fragments or pedestal bases.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Nyírkarász was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1942, since the latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in that year. The cemetery is fenced and is maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries and has a Holocaust memorial.

In the 1747 census, 8 Jews were listed as living in the settlement. In 1848, 106 Jews were recorded as living in 25 households. Over the following decades, 220 Jews lived in the village in 1880, 197 in 1920, and 164 in 1930. In 1941, of the village’s total population of 2,744, 170 were Jews. The local Jews were mainly shopkeepers and door-to-door merchants, although several were craftsmen and three were landowners. A Talmud Torah and a cheder were also established in the community. In 1941, 30 Jews were taken to forced labour service. In 1944, the Orthodox community of Nyírkarász had 125 members. In April 1944, the Jews of the settlement were gathered and taken to the Kisvárda ghetto. At the end of May, they were deported to Lager-C in Auschwitz. In 1949, 21 Jews were still living in Nyírkarász. However, by the 1960’s, no Jews remained in the settlement. The synagogue was demolished in 1953.