Nyirbogat New Jewish Cemetery
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Nyírbogát. The newer cemetery was likely established in the 1920’s, though the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates back to 1930. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1945, which is the date marked on the latest tombstone in the cemetery. Presumably, burials began to take place in the newer cemetery after the old cemetery ceased operations.
The Jewish community, which at that time numbered 23 people, was established in Nyírbogát around 1840. About 40 years later, the Jewish population increased to 278. After the turn of the century, the Jewish population continued to grow, accounting for 404 people in 1910 and 298 in 1941. The Nyírbogát Jewish community joined the Orthodox stream. The Nyírbogát Jewish community was never independent, and first came under the jurisdiction of Balkány followed by Nyírbátor. During the White Terror, the Jews of Nyírbogát endured great suffering. In May 1944, the Jewish community was deported to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto and then to Auschwitz on May 26.