Mykulyntsi Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on cadastral maps of 1861. In the 1930s, it appears on maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG). The cemetery was vandalised during WWII. The gravestones from the site were used to pave the streets of Mikulyntsi.
The first records about the Jews in Mikulyntsi relate to 1716. By 1890, the Jewish population reached a peak of 2,468 (64,3% of the total population). The active Zionist movement was opposed by Agudat Israel, supported by Ruzhin Hasidism dynasty. Local Jews suffered a fire of 1903. The Jewish population declined to 1,891 (58,7% of the total population) in 1921 because of emigration. In 1910, ten synagogues and a school supported by Baron Hirsh operated. The economic conditions of the Jewish community of Mykulyntsi worsen in the interwar period. In 1931, 1,770 Jewish residents inhabited in the town. On July 5, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Mikulyntsi. On August 31, 1942, about 1,200 Jews were sent to Belzec death camp, around 100 were murdered on the spot.