Mandok Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery doesn’t have an address. It is approachable from the path starting at 34, Mester Street.
GPS coordinates
48.32677, 22.17889
Perimeter length
148 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a wire fence, around 2m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is partially overgrown with trees and bushes. There are many bilingual epitaphs.
Number of existing gravestones
129 gravestones: 66 intact & 63 broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Mándok was established as early as 1849, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1957. The cemetery has been fenced.

The earliest record regarding the Jewish community in Mándok dates to 1770, when 7 Jews were recorded as living in the village. In 1840, there were 51 Jews living in Mándok. Later, around 1880, the Jewish population increased to 358, and by 1930, the community had a population of 400 people. Following disagreements that arose at the Jewish Congress in 1868, resulting in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry, the Jewish community of Mándok joined the Orthodox stream. The synagogue was built in 1861, and the mikveh, school, and rabbi’s house were all built around the building. In 1944, the Hungarian authorities took the Jews to the Kisvárda Ghetto from where they were deported to Auschwitz on May 29. 20 Jewish women from Mándok later survived and returned from Auschwitz, and 18 Jewish men survived and returned form forced labour camps. The synagogue was destroyed in 1963.