Korolivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 300 metres in the north-eastern direction from the central intersection of the village. The cemetery is located in the fields on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.74639, 25.99769
Perimeter length
514 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. A dirt road divides the cemetery into two parts.
Number of existing gravestones
About 1,000
Date of oldest tombstone
1802 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1936 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

It can be assumed that the cemetery was established in the 18th century, although the earliest preserved gravestone relates to the early 19th century. Supposedly it appears on maps of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the 1880s.

The Jews are known in Korolivka from the late 17th century. The construction of the first synagogue in Korolivka dates back to the early 18th century. In the 18th century, the Jews of Korolivka were engaged in leasing and commerce. In 1900, the Jewish population grew to 1,596 (44,5% of the total). In 1904, a fire destroyed 30 Jewish houses. The town was ruined by the Russian army during the WWI. The Jewish population reduced to 1,161 (37,6% of the total population) in 1921. In the 1930s, the Jewish community suffered economic stagnation. The Wehrmacht troops occupied the town on July 1, 1941. On September 26, 1942, from 700 to 900 Jews were sent to the Borschiv ghetto and then deported to the Belzec death camp. Most of the rest Jews were also sent to the Borschiv ghetto a month later. The founder of the Frankist movement Jacob Frank (1726-1791) was born in Korolivka.

3D model