Klevan Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery follow Klubna Street, turn to the east on a dirt road, and proceed for another 200 meters after the last house on the street. The entrance to the cemetery is roughly 50 metres further. The cemetery's grey wall can be seen from afar.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 2 metre tall concrete wall installed in August 2015 by ESJF. The gate has no lock.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is surrounded by privately-owned fields, on which crops are grown. It appears the cemetery was divided into 3 parts, with one section on the hill by the gate; to the West of the gate, where the Ohel is located; and to the Northwest, where the largest section was. The deep ditch in its centre suggests it was partially destroyed. The site is overgrown with trees, bushes, and tall grass, which require clearance.
Number of existing gravestones
360. Some of the tombstones (particularly those made from concrete) show signs of natural deterioration.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
In the western section of the cemetery, there is an Ohel dedicated to Rabbi Aharon, student of Besht, for whom no date of death was given. It was installed by the organisation "ohalei tzadikim — gader avot".
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest tombstone’s date relates to the mid 18th century so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First it appears on Russian map in 1880s and, later, in 1939 on map of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG).