Ibrany Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on Óvoda Street, opposite to Krúdy Gyula Street.
GPS coordinates
48.12056, 21.69998
Perimeter length
144 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 1,5 metres wire fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well maintained. The grass is mown. Many tombstones have been restored.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Ibrány, the older of which was in use as early as 1868 – the earliest date found on tombstones in the cemetery. According to dates in this cemetery and to those in the new cemetery, the old cemetery was in use until the early 1910’s. For unknown reasons, one tombstone from 1943 can be found in this cemetery. Today the cemetery is fenced.

In 1880, the total population of the village of Ibrány was 2,847, including 201 Jews. A Jewish school was established in Ibrány at the initiative of Mór Bleuer. In 1893, the Ibrány Jewish community decided to build a synagogue. While they were unable to achieve this goal on their own, the Christian farmers of Ibrány helped by transporting rubble-stone and timber from Kemecse to the construction area. The building has since been demolished. In 1941, the total population of the village was 7,043, 232 of whom were Jews. In 1944, there were 214 Jews, including 33 of whom were taxpayers. The Jewish inhabitants of Ibrány were confined to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto from where they were deported to Auschwitz.