Wiskitki Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
Adjacent to No.1 Spółdzielcza Street. Wiskitki. The cemetery is situated in a forest along the north side of Spółdzielcza Street. From the east, the cemetery area is adjacent to car repair buildings (No.1 Spółdzielcza Street).
GPS coordinates
52.08708, 20.37098
Perimeter length
353 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced with a modern concrete fence (2m high), there is an iron entrance gate with a star of David. The fence was installed by ESJF in cooperation with FODZ in 2016.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
1883, 1937
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jewish settlement in Wiskitki began to develop after 1793. In 1921, 951 Jews lived in the town, constituting 34.14% of the entire population. In February 1941, the Germans deported the local Jews to the Warsaw Ghetto, most of whom were later murdered in Treblinka in 1942. The Jewish cemetery is located at Spółdzielcza Street, about 850 metres north-west of the town centre, and covers geodetic plot no. 569 shaped like a rectangle, with an area of 0.63 hectares. The cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century. In 1841, the synagogue supervision leased a plot of land intended for a cemetery. Until the 1870’s, the cemetery also served as the burial place for Jews from the nearby Żyrardów.

Most probably, during World War II, cemetery was devasted, and continued to degrade in the following decades. Most of the tombstones were removed and the fence was torn down (its remains were recorded in the 1991 Cemetery Chart). At the beginning of the 21st century, the area was overgrown with dense, wild vegetation (shrubs and trees), making the cemetery difficult to access. About 70 tombstones have survived within the cemetery in various conditions, mostly in the form of sandstone stelae and granite fieldstones. The oldest identified tombstones are dated 1852. When comparing the number of tombstones noted in the record books with the actual number of preserved matzevot, the latter constitutes only about 4% of all the matzevot. The list of tombstones is available at http://cmentarza-zydowskie.pl/wiskitki.htm. In 2016, the cemetery was cleaned and fenced with a concrete wall. A plaque commemorating the Jews of Wiskitki was placed at the entrance. The project was implemented by the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in cooperation with the ESJF – European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative. The owner of the cemetery is the Wiskitki Commune. The cemetery is listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Masovian Voivodeship.