Velyki Lazy Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Velyki Lazy
Site address
To reach the cemetery, enter the village from theE50 road via Voznesens’ka Street, turn right and continue on for 200 metres. The cemetery is situated 100 metres behind the garage on 56, Nova Street.
GPS coordinates
48.55173, 22.38272
Perimeter length
288 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence with a metal gate, installed by ESJF in September 2015.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Velyki Lazy was established during the 19th century. The oldest gravestone dates from 1877, and the latest one to 1938.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Velyki Lazy in the late 18th century. In 1851, the Jewish population numbered 43 (12% of the total population). In 1880, 83 Jews lived here. By 1910, the Jewish population had decreased to 46. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population numbered 31 individuals, and in 1930, the Jewish population counted 26. Hungarians arrived to Velyki Lazy in March 1939 and, in 1941, drafted some Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. By 1941, the Jewish population of the town numbered 27. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Velyki Lazy were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.