Storozhnytsia Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery was existing at least from the year 1865, evident from the dating of the oldest tombstone found by the ESJF expedition. It was active until 1941.
Jews are believed to have arrived in Storozhnytsya during the first half of the 18th century. In 1768, four Jews lived in the town. In 1830, the Jewish population numbered around 193, increasing to 325 in 1880 (24% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 235. Hungarian forces arrived in March 1939 and, in 1941, drafted dozens of young Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In 1941, the Jewish population numbered 241 individuals. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Storozhnytsya were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.