Staryy Chortoryysk Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery was most likely established in the 16th or 17th century. In the mid-19th century, it appears on Russian maps. The cemetery was once larger than the fenced area.
The Jews began to settle in Staryy Chortoryys’k in 1577. In 1765, 473 Jews lived there. In 1887, the Jewish population had grown to 822 (29.6% of the total population). During WWI, the village was situated on the front line and many houses were burnt. Jews were expelled from the village, and only a quarter of the Jewish population returned: in 1921, the population included 220 Jews. In 1941, the number of Jews in Staryy Chortoryys’k was estimated to be around 300. On June 26, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the town, killing 300 Jews near the village cemetery. In 1968, survivors paid for the erection of a monument on the site of the shooting. The Jewish journalist Yona Rosenfeld was born in Staryy Chortoryys’k.