Ruski Komarivtsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Rus’ki Komarivtsi
Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house at 45, Nova Street.
GPS coordinates
48.51947, 22.44211
Perimeter length
220 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence, constructed by ESJF in August 2015.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is fenced and well maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel on the cemetery site.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was established in the early or mid-19th century. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to 1849. The old (northern) part of the cemetery appears on the cadastral map of 1865, the southern part was established later. It can be assumed that the cemetery was used until WWII, although the latest preserved gravestone relates to 1900.
Jews settled in the area of Rus’ki Komarivtsi in the early 19th century. In 1877, 115 Jews lived in the town (15% of the total population). Jews earned their livelihoods in commerce and agriculture. Hungarian forces arrived in Rus’ki Komarivtsi in March 1939. In 1941, some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In August 1941, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to German-occupied Kamianets-Podilskyi and shot there. The remaining Jews of Rus’ki Komarivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.