Radomyshl Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Cemetery is near the house on Kuzma Skryabin Street, 71.
GPS coordinates
50.50368, 29.22813
Perimeter length
841 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in November 2019.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
About 500. Many stones are not visible due to the dense vegetation; there are clearly more gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1901 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2018 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel with 3 tsiyunim. One is dedicated to Rabbi Mordykhai Israel Tvers'kyy son of Rabbi Aharon Ihoshe Heshil Tvers'kyy, both were killed on the 4th of March 1919. The second is dedicated to admor Abraham Ehoshe Heshil Tvers'kyy son of Rabbi Gdaliya, grandson of RAbbi Aharon from Chornobyl' and Rabbi Nahman from Bratslav, descendant of Besht, killed on the 4th of March 1919. The third is dedicated to rabbanith Frida Malka wife of Rabbi Abraham Ihoshe Heshil Tvers'kyy, daughter of Rabbi Tsvi Rokakh, granddaughter of Rabbi Sar Shalom from Belz and Rabbi Baal Lev Sameakh from Oles'k. There is one more separately standing tsiyun of Rabbi Moshe son of Rabbi Shneur Zalman from Liady author of "Tania".
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. The cemetery emerged no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1901.

The Jewish community of Radomyshl (Ukr. Радомишль, Rus. Радомышль, Yid. ראַדעמישל) likely emerged in the 18th century, although there may have been a Jewish presence earlier. Jews were attacked and their property was looted by the insurgent Cossacks in the 1750s. In 1797, the Jewish population stood at 1,424, which was 56% of the total population. A Jewish barber was tried on ritual murder charges and acquitted in 1839. Radomyshl had a Jewish population of 7,502 (69%) in 1897. The Jewish community maintained a synagogue, 7 prayer houses, a hospital, a loan fund, a talmud-torah, 3 schools for boys as well as 2 for girls. The Bund and Zionist groups were active. During the Civil War of 1918–21, hundreds of Jews were killed in pogroms, among them the congregation’s spiritual leader R. Avrom Yehoshua Heschel Twerski. The synagogue was closed by the Soviet authorities in the 1930s. A Jewish school operated until the late 1930s. In 1939, the Jewish population of Radomyshl was 2,348 (20%). After the arrival of the Germans in 1941, the Jews were confined in a ghetto. The majority of them were killed in August–September 1941. According to the 2001 census, only 13 Jews lived in Radomyshl and the surrounding area.
It is not known precisely when the cemetery was founded. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the oldest identifiable date on a tombstone was 1910.
The ohel over the Twerski burials was built in the early 21st century. The fence was renovated in 2019.