Melnytsya-Podilska Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Mel'nytsya Podil's'ka
Site address
The cemetery is located adjacent to 7, Pushkina Street.
GPS coordinates
48.61131, 26.16522
Perimeter length
247 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery has a fence installed in September 2019 by ESJF.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
10 fragments of tombstones. The only readable tombstone dates 1915,1916.
Date of oldest tombstone
1795 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1905(latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an unmarked ohel on the site, installed by the Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to epigraphic data, the cemetery existed aready in 1795. It appears on maps of the Austro-Hungarian Empire of the 1880s. It was used until 1900s, when a new cemetery was opened.

Jews have settled in Mel’nytsya since it became a city in 1767 and there was established a fair. An independent Jewish community arose in 1840s. The Jewish population had grown rapidly in the second half of 19th cent. and reached 1,429 (39,7% of the total population) in 1880. In late 19th cent a rabbi of Melnytsya community was Meshulam Roth, an author of “Kol Mevasser”. In the early 20th century, a small Hasidic court was set up in Melnytsya by Shalom Yosef Friedman (1871-1927), a grandson of the Israel of Ruzhin’s firstborn, Shalom Yosef. A Hebrew school was opened in 1920. In 1921, a loan bank was established with the support of the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. The Jewish population stood at 1,568 in 1931. In July 1941, the Hungarian army occupied the town. The Wehrmacht troops came to Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka in August 1941. In September-October, 1942, the Jews of Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka and neighbouring villages were deported to the Belzec death camp and Borschiv. The fleed Jews were found and murdered at the Jewish cemetery. 30 local Jews survived the war.