Melnytsya Podilska New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Mel'nytsya Podil's'ka
Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house at 12, Chornovola Street.
GPS coordinates
48.61241, 26.16672
Perimeter length
340 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery has a fence installed in June 2022 by ESJF.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1910 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1934 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are tsiyuns of Rabbi Perets Rafael Val’tser and his son-in-law Rabbi Israel Herling on the site, installed by the Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably it was established in early 20th cent. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the 90s years of the 20th century.

The Jews are known in the town since the late 18th century. The Jewish community of Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka became independent in the first half of the 18th century. The Jewish population reached 1,429 (39,7% of the total population) in 1880. In the early 20th century, the Hasidic court was set up by Shlomo Yosef Friedman (1871-1927). A Hebrew school was opened in 1920. In 1921, a loan bank was established with the support of the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. The Jewish population stood at 1,568 in 1931. In July 1941, the Hungarian army occupied the town. The Wehrmacht troops came to Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka in August 1941. In September-October, 1942, the Jews of Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka and neighbouring villages were deported to the Belzec death camp and Borschiv. The fleed Jews were found and murdered at the Jewish cemetery. 30 local Jews survived the war.