Markuszow New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Site address
There is a path leading to the cemetery between buildings 39 and 41 on Łachy street.
GPS coordinates
51.37122, 22.26751
Perimeter length
316,21 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in December 2021.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
There are 7 tombstones in situ, while 29 tombstones in total have been found in the cemetery. 29 tombstones have been found, some of which are damaged (broken matzevot), some are overturned with text to the ground and many tombstones have collapsed into the ground so that only the upper part of the matzevah is sticking out. 7 tombstones are in their original place.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Markuszów is a small town located about 30 km from Lublin. It was founded as a private town, with its town rights granted in the mid-16th century due to the efforts of the Firlej family. Data on individual Jewish inhabitants dates back to the first half of the 17th century, however a Jewish community was not established until the end of the 17th century. The Jewish quarter was located to the east of the market square, and in time, it also expanded to the south-eastern part of Markuszów. 100m to the east of the market square, there was a synagogue with a small cemetery located to the north of the building. The cemetery likely was in use until the turn of the 19th century. At that time, a new cemetery was established approximately 700m south-east of the town center, outside the residential buildings of the Jewish quarter.

The cemetery was enlarged around 1937 and was surrounded by a concrete fence. At the beginning of World War II the city was bombed, including the cemetery. The victims of two mass executions in 1942 and 1943 were buried at the cemetery. During the war, the matzevot were used for various purposes such as the construction of pavements, stairs, thresholds as well as other uses. This practice was continued after the war. In the 1970s, the cemetery was planted with trees, and livestock were grazed there, it also became a place where locals would build bonfires and carouse.

The cemetery was entered into the Register of Monuments in 1989 (number: A/1000), with research work carried out at the cemetery in 1991/92. At the beginning of the 21st century, grazing at the cemetery was ended and as such it became overgrown. In August 2016, cleaning work was carried out in which the family of Dan Oren, volunteers from the Matzevah Foundation (USA), and volunteers from the Studnia Pamięci Association (Lublin, Poland) participated. The cemetery is located approximately 50m east of Łachy Street, behind the household plots. Arable plots and fields surround the cemetery on the other sides. The cemetery is a rectangle approximately 90 × 60 m and it covers an area of 0.54 hectares. On the southern and eastern bounds, fragments of the concrete fence have survived. During the research carried out in the 1990s, around 160 objects were found in the area including: 68 matzevot, 89 flat tombstones (some with remains of inscriptions), and 2 mass graves. The cleaning works in 2016 allowed the discovery of more individual matzevot and flat tombstones. The preserved matzevot (most of which are overturned) are located mainly in the southern and eastern part of the cemetery, as well as in the central northern part. The three oldest tombstones, dating from 1847, 1853 and 1855, are located in the western part of the cemetery. In 2016, the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland erected a monument near them. Since 2016 the cemetery has started to become overgrown with wild plants again.