Lyakhivtsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the eastern outskirts of the village Chertizh, coming from the Church of Michael the Archangel, proceed south for 140 metres. Turn east and continue for another 100 metres, then go along the path past house 43/46 in the same direction.
GPS coordinates
48.55833, 22.49090
Perimeter length
213 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence, constructed by ESJF in August 2017.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Lyakhivtsi was established in the 19th century, although the oldest preserved gravestone dates only to 1908. The cemetery was used until WWII.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Lyakhivtsi in the late 18th century. In 1880, there were 102 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population numbered 52, and by 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 45. In 1930, the population numbered 34 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Lyakhivtsi in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 33 Jews living in Lyakhivtsi in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Lyakhivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.