Kysylyn Jewish Cemetery
Supposedly, the cemetery of Kysylyn emerged in the 18th century. It appears on Russian maps of the mid-19th century. The cemetery was destroyed during or after WWII. Nowadays it is overgrown with forest. At least one gravestone is present, though the exact number is not known due to dense vegetation.
The exact date of the first Jewish settlement in Kysylyn is unknown, but their community was subordinate to that of Ludmir (Volodymyr-Volyns’kyy) in the 17th century. In 1784, 87 Jews were living in Kysylyn, and the population was steadily increasing. In 1987, the Jewish population had reached 873 (98% of the total population). During WWI, the Jewish community suffered bitterly, reflected in the population decline to 94 individuals (21% of the total population) in 1921. In late June 1941, Nazi troops occupied Kysylyn, creating a ghetto on November 1, 1941. On August 12, 1942, it was liquidated, and the 500 Jews from Kysylyn, Ozyutychi, Kholopychi, and other surrounding villages were murdered here. A monument on the execution site was erected in 1991.