Korycin Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
Korycin Jewish Cemetery is located about 1.1km southwest of the Market Square, about 300m east of road no. 671 to Jasionówka, it is located on a flat area, surrounded by arable fields. There is no access road nor footpath to the cemetery. Entry to the cemetery is in the north-east corner. Cadastral parcels no. 201103_2.0008.91; 201103_2.0008.90; 201103_2.0008.92
GPS coordinates
53.4362305, 23.0813956
Perimeter length
395 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in November 2016.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
17 badly damaged tombstones were found.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery in Korycin is located about 1.1 km southwest of the market square in Korycin, and about 300 metres east of the provincial road No. 671. It is located on flat ground, surrounded by arable fields, and covers a rectangular plot with an area of approximately 0.9 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown. During World War II, by order of the German authorities, some tombstones were used to pave the roads. The cemetery fell into further disrepair in the post-war years. In the 1983 cemetery records, in the “User comments” section, the following is written: “Carrying out renovation works is not recommended. For economic reasons it is proposed to use the area as a pasture for cattle.” In 2016, the ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative fenced the cemetery. There are only single tombstones in the cemetery in a various preserved states, mostly in the form of stelae made of granite erratic boulders. The area is overgrown with wild vegetation (such as shrubs and deciduous trees) which significantly impedes access to the cemetery. The cemetery is fenced with a wall made of prefabricated concrete elements. There is no form of commemoration. The owner of the cemetery is the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage. The facility is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments.

The first Jews settled in Korycin at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1722, the town was supposed to be inhabited by “Jews only.” In 1800, 127 Jews lived in Korycin (80% of the total population), and 265 in 1921 (43.9%). After September 17, 1939, the number of Jews in Korycin increased to about 1,000. On November 2, 1942, the Germans deported the Jews of Korycin via Suchowola to Kiełbasin, and then murdered them in KL Auschwitz-Birkenau.