Klyachanovo Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
9, Shevchenka Street. The cemetery is located behind the house.
GPS coordinates
48.46774, 22.66693
Perimeter length
197 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in August 2022.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Klyachanovo was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1840. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the latest preserved gravestone date to 1930.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the Klyachanovo area in the mid-18th century. In 1768 there were three Jewish families. In 1830, 55 Jews were living in the town. In 1880, the Jewish population had risen to 187 from a total population of 703 inhabitants. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 215 individuals. Jews were engaged in agriculture and commerce, and they owned two quarries. The Hungarians arrived in Klyachanovo in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Klyachanovo were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.