Cernik Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Brodsko-posavska županija
Site address
The cemetery is located at 34, Potočna Street.
GPS coordinates
45.27673, 17.37882
Perimeter length
202 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced by ESJF in August 2022.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
This is a fenced and well-maintained Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
94. Many of tombstones are broken or in some form neglected.
Date of oldest tombstone
At least 1871
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a morgue and a family mausoleum.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Cernik is a village and municipality in Brod-Posavina County, located 51 km northwest of Brod. The first recorded mention of the city dates to the mid-14th century. At the beginning of the 16th century, King Lodovik granted Cernik the right to conduct fairs. After liberation from Turkish rule, the town considerably developed. A monastery, a few churches, and a palace for the local nobility were built there. By the mid-19th century, there were 162 households in the town. In Cernik, at one point, were 1056 Catholics, 15 Orthodox, and 29 Jews inhabitants. Jews settled in the city at the beginning of the 19th century, where they built their own synagogue (in 1780), cemetery, and elementary school.

The Jewish cemetery is located on a hillside in the southern part of the village. The Jews from Nova Gradiska also used the Jewish cemetery in Cernik. While the cemetery was founded in 1800, the oldest gravestone inscription dates to 1871. Some of the grave inscriptions are written in Hebrew, German, and Croatian. The oldest gravestones are stele-shaped while the later ones are designed as obelisks. Among the more notable buildings in the cemetery include the Schmidek Schulzer family ohel, built as a mausoleum, and the ruins of mortuary. The last burial took place in 1942. The oldest tomb dates to 1906 and the latest to 1938.