Jewish settlement began in Kaniv towards the end of the 17th century and the Jewish population had grown to 2,682 (30% of the total population) by 1897. In 1910, the town had a synagogue, two additional prayer houses, two male and one female government-sponsored schools. Kanev was occupied by the Nazis on August 16, 1941. In November 1941, 150 Jews were shot in Berestovetsky ravine. Those Jews who were not killed in the first massacre, tried to escape from the city and hide during the beginning of the winter of 1941/42. They were caught by local police and taken to Korsun’, where they were shot in the Kuschaevka ravine.
The cemetery was established in the 18th century and is still in use. It is situated in in the central part of the city, near the hydro-forest-meliorative station, 300 meters to the left of the Myronivka-Kyiv road. Access is another 100 meters along a forest road. The site was overgrown and without fencing.